Online casinos have become increasingly popular in recent years, and Ontario is no exception. As one of the largest provinces in Canada, Ontario has a diverse population that enjoys various forms of gambling entertainment.
Ontario is the only province in Canada that has decided to open its market to foreign companies and allow operators to provide their services in the country. Instead of the classic licensing process, the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO) spent two years developing a special system that allows them to control and support the online casino Ontario industry, while making it liberal and competitive.
Up to first $500
*New customers only. 100% match bonus based on first deposit of C$10+.
Ontario is making history as the only province in Canada to open its market to foreign companies and allow operators from abroad to provide their services in the country. This marks a radical shift from traditional policy that has kept the Canadian gambling market predominantly domestic for decades. Ontario’s decision is sure to have wide-reaching consequences for both the provincial and national economy, as well as for consumers who will benefit from increased competition and better access to products and services.
iGaming Ontario is a gambling market operating under the AGCO, which registers Ontario online casinos companies and allows them to provide gambling services. iGaming Ontario then signs a contract with each interested operator and oversees their operations, thereby monitoring changes in the gambling industry and managing the gambling sector in the province.
Both B2C and B2B companies can register with the AGCO. To do so, they need to obtain certification for their products and devices from an independent laboratory and provide a list of required documents, such as an application and information about the company and persons associated with it, pay a fee and sign an agreement with iGaming Ontario.
The annual fee is CAD 100,000 ($77,348) per site for operators, and B2B vendors are divided into two categories, gambling equipment manufacturers pay CAD 15,000 ($11,602) and equipment and service providers pay CAD 3,000 ($2,320).
The potential size of Ontario’s recently-opened iGaming market has caused quite a stir, and for good reason: Ontario residents alone spend nearly $1 billion a year on online gambling. With such significant financial and other interests at stake, it makes sense that decision-makers are paying attention and taking action.
The two biggest recent legislative reforms for Canadian iGaming in the last twelve months have been the legalization of betting on single sporting events on August 27, 2021; and the launch of Ontario’s new regulated iGaming regime on April 4, 2022.
Legal Ontario Online Casinos
The province of Ontario generates the most revenue from gambling, with 35% of the total revenue of all Canadian provinces. The following article looks at Ontario legislation as an illustrative example of how Canadian gambling is regulated.
There are three regulators in Ontario, all of them government regulators:
- Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (regulator)
- Provincial authorities
- Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation (operator)
The Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario is a provincial regulatory institution founded in 1998. The organization regulates alcohol, gambling, and horse racing in the province. It also issues licenses for charity lotteries. Previously, there were two regulators: the Liquor Licence Board of Ontario and the Gaming Control Commission.
The Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation is a government agency that operates land-based gaming venues and websites in the province. Previously, there were two gambling operators: the Ontario Casino Corporation (OCC) and the Ontario Lottery Corporation (OLC). The companies merged in 2000.
Gambling in the province is regulated by laws:
- Alcohol and Gaming Regulation and Public Protection Act of 1996
- Gaming Control Act of 1992
- Horse Racing Licence Act of 2015
- iGaming Ontario 2022
All laws have additional provisions for specific aspects of gambling.
The Gaming Situation in Ontario
- Population: 14.7 million
- Gambling Regulator: Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO) / iGaming Ontario
- Official Launch Date: April, 2022
- Legal age for casino gambling: 19
- Online casinos: Yes
- Retail casinos: Yes
- Payment Methods to be Available: Debit cards, Credit cards, Interac, INSTADEBIT, online bank transfer, e-Wallets, Paysafecard, Cryptocurrency
- Player Support & Information – Click here
Choose Best Online Casino Ontario
When rating Ontario casinos online, several factors are taken into consideration, including:
- Licensing and Regulation: We assess whether the online casino is licensed and regulated by the Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation (OLG) or another reputable regulatory body. We also check to see if the casino complies with industry standards and regulations to ensure fair and secure gaming.
- Game Selection: We consider the variety of games available at the casino, including slot machines, table games, and live dealer games. We also take into account the quality of the games, including graphics, sound, and gameplay.
- Bonuses and Promotions: We evaluate the casino’s bonus and promotion offerings, including welcome bonuses, free spins, and loyalty programs. We also consider the terms and conditions associated with these bonuses, such as wagering requirements.
- Payment Options: We examine the available payment options, including credit cards, e-wallets, and bank transfers, as well as the processing times for deposits and withdrawals. We also consider whether the casino supports Canadian dollars.
- Customer Support: We assess the quality and availability of customer support, including the methods of contact (email, live chat, phone) and the response times.
- Responsible Gaming: We review the casino’s responsible gaming policies and tools, including deposit limits, self-exclusion options, and access to support services for those who may develop gambling problems.
By considering these factors, we are able to provide an objective and comprehensive rating of online Ontario casinos to help players make informed decisions about where to play.
Start Playing in Ontario Online Casino
To start playing online casino games in Ontario, you need to follow these simple steps:
- Choose a reputable online casino: Select a licensed and regulated online casino Ontario that offers a wide variety of games and generous bonuses and promotions.
- Create an account: Register with the Ontario online casino by providing your personal details, such as your name, address, and date of birth. You will also need to create a username and password.
- Verify your account: Once you have created an account, you will need to verify your identity by submitting a copy of your government-issued ID and proof of address.
- Make a deposit: Fund your account by selecting a payment method and depositing funds. Most Ontario online casinos offer several payment options, such as credit cards, e-wallets, and bank transfers.
- Claim your bonus: If the Ontario online casino real money offers a welcome bonus or other promotions, make sure to claim them by following the instructions provided.
- Start playing: Once your account is funded, you can start playing your favorite casino games, such as slots, table games, and live dealer games.
Remember to gamble responsibly and never wager more than you can afford to lose. Also, make sure to familiarize yourself with the online casino’s terms and conditions, including their withdrawal policies, before you start playing.
Who can Play Online Casinos Ontario?
To play online casinos in Ontario, you must meet certain eligibility requirements, which include:
- Age: You must be at least 19 years old to play online casino games in Ontario.
- Residency: You must be a resident of Ontario and physically located within the province to access and play online casino games.
- Identity verification: Online casinos in Ontario require players to verify their identity by providing government-issued ID and proof of address to ensure that players are of legal age and residing in Ontario.
- Responsible gaming: Online casinos in Ontario are committed to promoting responsible gaming practices and have implemented measures to prevent problem gambling. Players who have voluntarily excluded themselves from land-based casinos in Ontario or who have been banned by the OLG are not allowed to play online casino games.
It’s important to note that online casinos in Ontario are regulated by the Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation (OLG) and must adhere to strict regulations to ensure the safety and security of players. Therefore, it is recommended to only play at licensed and regulated online casinos to ensure a safe and fair gaming experience.
Best Online Casinos Apps Ontario
There are many online casino apps available in Ontario, but not all of them are created equal. Here are some of the best online casino apps that are available for players in Ontario:
- PlayOLG: This is the official online casino app of the Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation (OLG). It offers a wide variety of casino games, including slots, table games, and live dealer games, and is licensed and regulated by the OLG.
- 888 Casino: This app offers a wide selection of games and generous bonuses, including a no-deposit bonus for new players. It is licensed and regulated by the UK Gambling Commission and the Gibraltar Gambling Commission.
- Betway Casino: This app offers a large selection of games and a user-friendly interface, as well as a generous welcome bonus. It is licensed and regulated by the Malta Gaming Authority.
- Jackpot City Casino: This app offers a wide selection of games and generous bonuses, including a welcome bonus worth up to $1,600. It is licensed and regulated by the Malta Gaming Authority.
- Spin Palace Casino: This app offers a large selection of games and a generous welcome bonus, as well as a VIP program for loyal players. It is licensed and regulated by the Malta Gaming Authority.
When selecting an online casino app Ontario, it’s important to consider factors such as licensing and regulation, game selection, bonuses and promotions, and payment methods. By doing your research and selecting a reputable and reliable online casino app, you can enjoy a safe and secure gaming experience from the convenience of your mobile device.
Advantages & Disadvantages of Online Casinos Ontario Canada
Pros of regulated Ontario online casinos:
- Safe and secure: Regulated online casinos in Ontario are subject to strict regulations and undergo regular audits to ensure the safety and security of player information and funds.
- Fair gaming: Regulated online casinos use certified random number generators to ensure the fairness of their games.
- Responsible gaming: Regulated online casinos offer a range of responsible gaming tools and resources to help players manage their gambling activities and prevent problem gambling.
- Wide variety of games: Regulated online casinos in Ontario offer a wide variety of games, including slots, table games, and live dealer games.
- Generous bonuses and promotions: Regulated online casinos offer generous bonuses and promotions to attract new players and retain existing ones.
Cons of regulated Ontario casinos online:
- Limited availability: Only a limited number of online casinos are licensed and regulated in Ontario, which may limit the options available to players.
- Geographic restrictions: Players must be physically located within Ontario to access and play at regulated online casinos.
- Age restrictions: Players must be at least 19 years old to play at regulated online casinos in Ontario.
- Withdrawal processing times: Withdrawal processing times may be longer at regulated online casinos Ontario due to the verification and security measures in place.
Overall, the pros of regulated Ontario online casinos far outweigh the cons. Regulated online casinos offer a safe and secure gaming environment with a wide variety of games and generous bonuses, while also promoting responsible gaming practices.
If you or someone you know is struggling with problem gambling in Ontario, there are several resources available to provide support and assistance:
- ConnexOntario: This is a confidential service that provides information and referral services for addiction and mental health services in Ontario. You can call their helpline at 1-866-531-2600 or visit their website at connexontario.ca.
- Ontario Problem Gambling Helpline: This helpline provides information and referral services for problem gambling in Ontario. You can call their helpline at 1-888-230-3505 or visit their website at problemgamblinghelpline.ca.
- Gamblers Anonymous: This is a support group for individuals who are struggling with problem gambling. Meetings are held throughout Ontario and provide a safe and supportive environment for individuals to share their experiences and receive support from others who understand.
- Self-Exclusion Program: This is a voluntary program offered by the Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation (OLG) that allows individuals to exclude themselves from land-based and online casinos in Ontario for a period of time. You can contact the OLG’s Responsible Gambling Information Centre at 1-888-230-3505 to learn more about the program.
- Treatment Programs: There are several treatment programs available in Ontario that provide specialized care and support for individuals struggling with problem gambling. You can contact ConnexOntario or the Ontario Problem Gambling Helpline for more information on available treatment options.
It’s important to remember that problem gambling is a serious issue that can have a significant impact on individuals and their families. Seeking help and support is the first step towards recovery.
The Ontario government has officially opened its market to third-party B2C operators registered with the Ontario Liquor and Gaming Commission. Because of Canada’s Criminal Code, Ontario cannot simply license private iGaming operators to do business in Ontario on a non-interference basis; it must continue to operate and manage the online casinos Ontario offered by registered iGaming operators. Nevertheless, Ontario’s cooperation with registered iGaming operators, rather than competition with them, makes sense for the iGaming industry in Canada. Private operators are interested in innovating to provide consumers with the best possible gaming experience, and players in Ontario have consistently favoured the gaming opportunities provided by private offshore iGaming businesses. The Ontario government expects to generate significant tax revenue that was previously lost to these unregulated gambling and betting operators.
In conclusion, Ontario Online Casinos provide a safe, convenient and entertaining way to enjoy the thrill of gaming without the hassle of visiting a physical casino. Players have access to a wide range of games, customer service options, payment methods and bonuses. With the stringent regulations in place to protect players, Ontario casinos online guarantee that playing online is as safe as it gets. The convenience offered by these casinos makes them appealing to all types of players from recreational ones to experienced professionals.